Sunday, November 11, 2012

Salmon fishing

While my good friend Buddeshepard was sliding around in the mud and rain and suffering the sorrows of the habitual farmer, I decided to accept the invite of my friend Randy the cat-skinner. (not that kind of cat, the one with tracks), to go to the coast and fish. The other Randy (the logger) joined us. Getting up at 3:30 to meet along the route did not allow enough time for the morning constitutional, and the outhouse at the boat ramp on the coast was not conducive either. Everything there was covered with a layer of ice, including Randy's boat.  The sun came out briefly to tease us, then the clouds moved in and it got colder. There were about three dozen other boats slowly trolling back and forth in the bay in hopes that the one fish we all saw landed, had brought along his family. It was not to be. I believe that the survivors were all happily laying eggs far up stream by then. Although told to wear warm clothes, I didn't realize what I was in for until I saw both Randys donning multiple coats and assorted survival gear. I don't think I have ever been that cold, for that long, and in a place with no escape, since & spent the night in a small tent in Eastern Oregon as a kid. It was below freezing, the tent blew down, and the sun came up to reveal several inches of hail covering the high desert.
Note to self: Do not believe the tag on those $6.00 pair of gloves that promise "waterproof" and 40grams of thinsulate.  The Chinese have a greater tolerance to cold I guess. Also, long underwear today isn't what it used to be and costs a lot more.
Needless to say, we caught no salmon for our $16.00 tags.
But I guess a good time was had by all.
But next year I hope the invitation comes at the start of the run, not the end.



                                                                  What I expected:


What I got. Herring cut bait

1 comment:

  1. Well if it makes you feel better I spent the day digging wet sticky mud out of various plugged up important things on the grain drill. I was not cold after loading 80 bags of wheat in the drill. I saw a really big coyote. A very big hawk and a couple trees. It was not a bad day.
    I imagined you hauling in the salmon but I guess wishing don't make it true. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete