Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Changing the CJ2a transmission oil (updated)



It was time to put the proper 90wt mineral oil in the transmissions. The stuff that was in there eats bronze. I tried the crappy plastic pump I bought at the auto parts store which made a mess and didn't work. Using only the tube from the pump, some fittings I had, an unused 2.5gal paint pot a friend gave me and which I have been carrying around for five years, and 13 lbs of air, it made the job almost pleasurable. I am proud of myself, something actually went as planned today. It only took about 15 minutes to find the parts in the barn and build it. All quick disconnect too. When the tranny was filled, I just shut the air valve & pulled the pressure release ring.



The body is dentless and almost rust free. It still has the original rear seat material. The after market top has to go. Originally painted Luzon red. A lucky find from NE Washington.

The day it came home:


4 comments:

  1. Very inventive. Now I have to ask, what kind of Willys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you didn't get mad at it and hit it and than title your blog post, whacking my WIllys...
    If you would have had a five gallon bucket, I have a pump that goes on the bucket. I also sell them. They work really well, but cost $80 each.

    http://www.filterpumper.com/

    but didn't chronicboy incorrectly lube your Willys something like five years ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my system better. You don’t have to pump it. Just sit there.
      I was thinking of going to Goodwill & picking up a pressure cooker to convert but then I remembered the paint tank which already had a pickup tube inside, and threaded fittings. Probably not a good idea to buy a used pressure cooker nowadays.
      Yes he did. I am just now getting around to working on it. In fact he left the transfer case dry. They thought the oil from the transmission would fill the transfer case too. It doesn’t, and didn’t. I didn’t drive it and checked when I came to pick it up after finding out who was doing the “work” on it.
      They also left off the “stay cable” not knowing what it was or where it went. It is supposed to help keep the engine and transmission from moving forward (as into the radiator) during a sudden stop.
      The new clutch is way out of adjustment too. There were other squalks.
      This is the one I want to restore, I’ve been using (and working on) the MB.

      Delete