Thursday, June 26, 2014

The birds & the bees

Just a few photos I took yesterday and today.
There were a pair of scarlet tanagers that were pretty upset. A baby had fallen out of the nest.. It is hanging out under a lilac bush. I hope it makes it.  I got dive bombed by the mother The nest is probably 40 or 50 feet up in the oak somewhere.
Best viewed full size. Click to enlarge.






The male stayed way up in the tree. I used a 400mm lens.

I'm always amazed by the variation in colors of these honey bees. My hives are filled with mutts.
The focus isn't great & I washed out the tiny flowers on some of the shots, but the bees never stayed more than a couple of seconds on each one & then moved to another. That didn't leave me much time.


 I didn't realize that flying bee was even in the frame, until I loaded it onto the computer.


These ladies are really pretty.

I wonder how many of these little flowers it took to collect that much pollen. 



6 comments:

  1. my iphone says it is a cedar waxwing which is funny because the photo it shows me of a cedar waxwing is obviously not the same as your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of bird? does your phone say my bees are?

      Delete
  2. Those are some blonde bees you got there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some have very little, or no black stripes at all.

      Delete
  3. You would get your hay done faster if you could attract a flock of Red headed double breasted bedthrashers... Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are over the hill here in the valley. The wild oats they feed on are pretty much baled.

      Delete