Tuesday, April 15, 2014
(not a photo of the actual fungicide)
Ok. This isn't really a joke.
Researchers at my alma mater, the University of South Florida, recently found that the fungicide chlorothalonil, in the same family as DDT, killed almost 90% of the frogs exposed to it. They tested several species of frogs, and all had the same reaction. They are now testing the chemical's mortality rate for other organisms, including bees.
The link is here.
Chlorothalonil is a widely used fungicide. We use 14 million pounds of chlorothalonil per year in the United States, much of it sprayed on peanut, potato, and tomato plants. About 10% of it is sprayed on golf courses to control fungus growth on the turf.
That frogs are in decline and have been for some time is a well known fact. They have been compared to the "canary in the mine shaft" as an indicator of a healthy ecology. It will be interesting to see what further study reveals and if there is a honey bee connection..
Thursday, April 3, 2014
Lots of ends, tops, and bottoms for the frames
First on the list was to build a jig for putting frames together. I built a couple the hard way one at a time and I could see this was going to get really boring very fast.
Fortunately there was an easy solution. I could still cut the notches for the sliding boards where they belonged and it might even look right to anyone but someone that knows what they are. Those people will see right off what I did and perhaps laugh a little later, but undoubtedly would be too polite to do so in front of me. At least now that I have a nail gun near by.
The two sliding boards temporarily hold the ends of the frames in place so the bottoms and tops can be added. I found that it goes a lot faster to hold one ends worth of the pieces together and apply the glue all at once, and then place them in the jig, as opposed to applying the glue once they are jigged up.
First glue & nail on the bottom boards.
Almost done a set of ten plus an extra. Flip the whole thing over and glue and staple on the top boards, remove the two sliding boards, & they come out of the jig.
I didn't get the last photo, but you get the idea.
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Thursday, March 13, 2014
There were five bulls butting heads on the field cam. If you click to enlarge it you can see them.
The camera up in the woods on the hill has taken some pretty nice shots. I'm going to leave it in that location.
This guy has dropped his antlers. They are somewhere between the two cameras.
He walked up to the camera & then noticed a couple of blacktails were following him, turned & chased them away.
They are in the lower right corner.
This guy must be a critic!
Saturday, February 8, 2014
Something poetic in the skeletal look of this orchard ladder in winter. Like the bones of last year's harvest, the meat tucked safely in jars on the shelf and in the freezer.
Nobody home here. Or they haven't gotten up yet.
A comment on the weather.
Daisy in front of the barn.
Some scrap metal. Somewhat sanitized by Mother Nature.
Maybe walls next year?
The ramp into the basement. I think I brought enough wood down before it snowed. The last time my feet went out from under me bringing a load down, it took a year before my tail bone stopped hurting. I did add gravel after that, but I'm playing it safe.
No refresh on the furnace yet, some smoke would have looked better. I'd take another picture, but it's snowing pretty hard now.
I brushed the snow away from the entrance for them.
It has warmed up to 28* and has been rising all morning. Of course right after I took these pictures it started snowing again, adding to what fell last night.
Friday, February 7, 2014
It's snowing again now. This was from yesterday. At least it's warmed up today. Currently a balmy 24*F
Yes, the wood pile is getting low.
The Statler Brothers For Budde!