Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Swarm

Two of the barn hives swarmed in the afternoon yesterday.   I first saw a small swarm on an apple tree when I got home & started to get ready to collect it when it flew. I think it was a swarm from the hive in the swarm trap that was sitting in the barn, because it wasn't very large, and it looked like they may have even gone back into it as they were all around it. Shortly afterwards Theresa saw a swarm in a wild plum tree where they have landed before. This was considerably larger and because of the reduction of activity today in the Langstroth hive by the barn, it probably came from there. This hive was from a cut out I did on the barn wall last year right after they moved in..

 They collected up above the higher ladder first. I didn't get the queen and they left the box and reformed lower down to the right.

Dropped a few on the way down.
 I carried it down and shook them into the box. This time I got the queen inside and the rest followed.

I then moved the hive about a half mile away so that the workers wouldn't be tempted to drift back to the original hive. In a couple of weeks  I may bring it back. There were a lot of bees. When I lifted the inner cover to add several frames, it was pretty heavy. 

2 comments:

  1. I wish someone could have gotten the one in my maple tree, but I'm out of circulation in the bee crowd anymore and didn't know anyone to call, though I did inform the county agent, in case he knew anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorges, it's getting hard for me to climb down a ladder with a chainsaw in one hand and a branch full of bees in the other. I'll be north of 70 this year.

    ReplyDelete