Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Proper Way to Eat a Pig


The Proper Way to Eat a Pig 

The last comment posted when I read the article should be a rude awakening to them.

"There is no such thing as "cruelty-free food," unless you eat only vegetables that have been harvested by hand. Reaping machines, etc., kill small mammals, rodents, and nesting birds that live in the fields. If you're eating grains or vegetables grown on a farm that uses any machinery at all, you're killing animals to eat. "   

She left out the occasional small faun that gets tangled up in the haying equipment, not to mention the reptiles there for the voles, and many amphibians such as newts and frogs. There are few bloodless options short of growing your own food on a small scale without machines, and that would be way too much work and too expensive for most people. For one thing, it would leave little time to don the spandex and ride the bicycle up and down the road in front of the homestead here.  

Perhaps these PETA  folks should exit the city and  take a trip to the country around harvest time to observe the flocks of vultures and crows following the combines. 

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I remeber breaking a tine on a hay turner once whilst it killed the rabbit. Mind you I was just annoyed I had to stop. I think some people need to understand that animals don't think like humans. I've shot animals before now and it's mate has just carried on eating grass right along side it. It didn't go into morning or cry as it run away! PETA really annoys me, they're even trying to ban pigeon racing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has been my experience too with the elk here.

      Delete
  2. So I told you the story of accidentally running a fawn part way through the hay mower at your farm. Of cutting off its legs and half it's body being jammed between the conditioning rolls. And having to dispatch it with a large crescent wrench whilst it screamed pitifully.
    It has scarred me for life.
    And all the while the hippie dance class was performing up on the hillside above me. Never realizing the act of brutality in the field below.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lest anyone get the wrong idea, I was 3500 miles away at the time. That would have been good for several meals!

      Delete
  3. I think so many people are so far removed from the source of where their cheap food comes from that we might as well be on different planets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, P.E.T.A needs to get a life.. They stick their nose in all the time...Almost cost us our Annual New Year's Eve Possum Drop this past year..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Offer to let them hang out below to catch it. :-)

    ReplyDelete