Tuesday, December 30, 2014

A desk spider

I was reading the manuals and trying to re-learn macro, something I used to fool around with in college in the 60's at USF, and this little guy crawled by on the desk. He (she) is only a couple of millimeters long. That's about a 1/16 of an inch. I let it crawl up on a microfiber lens cleaning cloth to take the pictures. Kind of cool. Nobody has been able to ID it yet. These are cropped quite a bit from 1:1 full frame.
Update: The general consensus so far is:
Arthropods (Arthropoda) » Chelicerates (Chelicerata) » Arachnids (Arachnida) » Spiders (Araneae) » True Spiders (Araneomorphae) » Entelegynes  »Sheetweb and Dwarf Spiders (Linyphiidae) » Dwarf Spiders (Erigoninae)


Click to enlarge for best view, as usual.



I am really looking forward to spring, when the bees are hitting the flowers. Until then, I'll take what I can get.

4 comments:

  1. Prolly a good spider. If it was poisonous I would say Vermin Smash IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually all spiders are poisonous to some degree. This little guy, couldn't get his fangs into your skin. if he wanted to. I'll let him catch some bugs I don't want around me.Anyway, he left when I wasn't looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda cute. Needs a name, and tiny leash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some dandy close up shots of the spider. Unfortunately I don't know them well enough to i.d. Usually when I see one in the house it is a predictor of rain, or at this time of the year, snow.

    ReplyDelete